For more information on Eisenhower Fellowships, visit www.efworld.org
Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I've Arrived

The Gate of India
I’ve finally arrived. After months of planning, coordinating, scheduling, researching, writing, etc...I am officially in India. The 15 hour plane ride was actually not even too bad.  Read books, slept, and caught up on movies that I refused to buy on my “on demand” service back at home. I left on Oct 23rd from Newark Airport and landed in Delhi on Oct 24th,  at  20:01, which is equivalent to 8:01pm, in Delhi. 

The entire process from going through customs, getting my bags, finding my driver, and finally getting picked up and taken to my first place of stay,  was very stress free and friendly.  From the stories of my friends back in the US who are either from India or have traveled to India, I was expecting so much commotion and craziness, but that didn’t happen. It was pretty much a harmless process. 

I was taken, and am currently staying,  at the India Habitat Center which is located in Central Delhi near the Embassies and the government sector of the City. www.indiahabitat.org/ The IHC is a very interesting and amazing facility. It’s a research and cultural center at its heart.  Beautifully designed by James Stein , an American Architect who once visited India and ending up living here.  I find it a good place to begin this journey.  Quiet, studious, serene, and very artistic.

I had a monster of a time getting to sleep last night.  Jetlag had set in and it was very hard for to adjust. However, I did finally ease into a sleep groove around 6am, India time. I had to.  I was scheduled to meet with my program coordinators for the Fellowship at 10:30 and needed to get at least 3 hours of sleep to take on my first full day in this new environment.

The Indian Green Dove
I awoke to swarms of squaks and chirps coming from my window.  At first I thought they were good ole American birds that we often see in the States so early in the mornings. But when I finally went to the window I screamed out a bit….they were not the typical Robins or pidgins of Philadelphia, etc…but were wonderfully beautiful green and blue parakeets of some sort. There were tons of them.  One even came to the window and said hello. So at 9:28am, out of my 5th floor window I finally saw clearly in the light the backdrop of Delhi and then these birds.  It was awesome. I started to smile.  “Wow”, I thought.  And that was the first time since I received the Eisenhower Fellowship in 2010, that it hit me….”I’m in India”. Now...Let's begin. 
B

0 comments:

Eisenhower Fellowships

Eisenhower Fellowships
Eisenhower Fellowships

Wilco Electronics, Inc.

Wilco Electronics, Inc.
Wilco Electronics, Inc.

Federal Communications Commission

Federal Communications Commission
Federal Communications Commission

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Total Pageviews